A LENS ON VANCOUVER'S PAST
Walter Frost's Holland-America Line (1920-1975)
Years In Service:
General cargo ship
140.14 m / 460 ft.
436,000 cu. ft.
385,000 cu. ft.
Interesting Facts & Figures
Although on the smaller side, ‘K’ class freighters were quick at 16 kts; beautifully proportioned and rigged with full cargo gear, including 40-ton heavy lift derricks on the foremast and MacGregor hatch covers. Their smaller size made them suitable for many services, even for sailing towards the Great Lakes through Canada’s St. Lawrence Seaway with its many locks.
‘K’ class ships without passenger accommodations such as the Korendyk had an owner's cabin, located on the deck under the bridge between the captain's cabin and the eerste stuurman (first mate). The owner's cabin was sometimes used to carry 1 or 2 passengers, such as the pilot, but was mostly empty.
The Korendyk initially worked the East Coast (1959-1966) then the Gulf Ports (1967-1968) and finally the North Pacific Coast (1969-1970).
The Korendyk (Capt. E.H.J. Cunaeus) was received with a celebration by Morehead City, North Carolina in July 1966, being the thousandth ship to dock since the port’s merger in 1953. To commemorate the event, Mayor George Dill presented the Korendyk’s master with the key to Morehead City. While in port, more than 1,400 hogsheads of North Carolina leaf tobacco (estimated value = $1.5 million) were loaded on board the Korendyk, destined for Europe.